Mark R. Krogstad
Mark R. Krogstad
South Dakota Trusts and Estates Attorney
Mark Krogstad, a Willmar, Minnesota native and graduate of Augustana University and the University of North Dakota School of Law, joined the firm in 2012 after practicing in Minnesota and receiving his Master’s Degree in Taxation from the University of Florida. He is a partner in the firm practicing in the areas of estate planning, business succession planning, tax planning, charitable gift planning, and estate and trust administration. As a part of his practice, Mark assists clients in:
- Drafting wills, durable powers of attorneys, and trusts, such as revocable living trusts, dynasty trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), spousal access trusts, asset protection trusts (APTs), charitable remainder trusts (CRTs), and charitable lead trusts (CLTs).
- Planning and and implementing gift, estate, and generation-skipping (GST) transfer tax planning techniques to promote the preservation of wealth among generations.
- The preparation of federal estate and gift tax returns and Minnesota estate tax returns.
- The transfer transfer of closely-held business interests, including farming and ranching businesses.
- Drafting prenuptial and antenuptial agreements.
- Probate matters and the administration of estates.
- The administration of trusts, including trust modifications and decanting.
Mark is active in the community and in professional organizations. He is a member of the Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council, the State Bar of South Dakota, and the Minnesota State Bar Association. He is also a member of Peace Lutheran Church and serves as a professional advisor to the Planned Giving Council for Sioux Empire United Way and on the Board of Directors for the National Kidney Foundation Serving the Dakotas. Outside of the office, Mark enjoys spending time with his wife and three children, being outdoors, hunting and fishing.
- The SECURE Act Impacts Distributions from Your IRA and Retirement Plan
- Van Heuvelen, Krogstad Published in South Dakota Law Review
- Krogstad and Van Heuvelen Speak at Law Review Symposium
- 2019 Banking Seminar: Protecting Your Bank’s Future
- Should I Have a Revocable Living Trust
- 2015 Estate and Gift Tax Exclusions
- 2015 Federal Estate and Gift Tax
- Special Needs Trust
- Death of LLC Member Can Be Tricky- Sioux Falls Business Journal
- Tax Treatment of Same-Sex Couples and Spouses
- Summary of Primary 2013 Legislative Changes to the Minnesota Estate and Gift Tax
- 2014 Exclusion for Lifetime Gifts to Noncitizen Spouses
- Tax Treatment for Same-Sex Spouses and Couples
Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP
Partner: 2017 – present
Associate: 2012 – 2016
(B.A., cum laude, 2007)
University of North Dakota School of Law
(J.D., with distinction, Order of the Coif, Order of Barristers, 2010)
University of Florida Levin College of Law
(LL.M in Taxation, 2012)
State Bar of South Dakota
Minnesota State Bar Association
Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council
Admitted to Practice (State):
South Dakota, 2012
North Dakota School of Law Moot Court Board and Member
Member of the North Dakota Law Review
Author: Filling the Gap: Addressing the Potential Impact of North Dakota Adopting Legislation Creating a New Entity – The Low Profit Limited Liability Company, 86 N.D. Law Rev. 535 (2010).
Author: Mark R. Krogstad & Matthew W. Van Heuvelen, Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Examining the Effectiveness of South Dakota Asset Protection Trust Statutes For Removing Assets From A Settlor’s Gross Estate, 61 S.D. L. Rev. 378 (2016).
Recipient: University of Florida 2012 Book Award in Estate Planning
Protecting what you’ve built.