Keith A. Gauer
Keith A. Gauer
South Dakota Financial Services Lawyer
While representing payment card issuers, Keith also regularly works on agreements to document the transfer of card portfolios between institutions. In connection with payment card programs, Keith has also worked on various federal and state law issues, including compliance with state law money transmitter licensing statutes. He assists banks with general payment systems issues, including the development of programs and resolution of disputes involving ACH, electronic check clearing, remote deposit, wire transfer, and other electronic commerce related matters. In addition, Keith has an established creditor’s rights practice where he represents local and national lenders in connection with initial loan documentation matters, foreclosures, loan workouts, and bankruptcy cases.
Keith has received an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, for the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards. Keith has also been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Corporate Law and has been ranked by Chambers and Partners in the areas of Corporate/Commercial and Corporate/Commercial: Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law, and ranked in the top 5% of practicing attorneys in South Dakota by Great Plains Super Lawyers in the areas of Banking, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights Law.
A Sioux Falls native, Keith’s outside activities focus on his local community and family. He has volunteered as a soccer coach and basketball coach for his children’s teams. In addition, Keith previously served on the Board of DakotAbilities, a non-profit corporation providing residential and vocational services to adults with developmental disabilities.
- Current Status of Hemp Legislation – Just the Facts
- 2019 Banking Seminar: Protecting Your Bank’s Future
- Can Your Bank Compete with Amazon?
- CFPB Mines Gold From Sterling
- 16 Davenport Evans Lawyers Listed by Best Lawyers 2018
- Chambers USA: Davenport Evans Lawyers Rank Tier One in 2019
- CFPB Says Payday Loans Out, Alternative Data Underwriting In?
- What Will the CFPB Do With Alternative Data?
- Email Compromise Scams
- Brown and Gauer Named SD Lawyers of the Year 2017
- Trails Ease Bike to Work for Sioux Falls Lawyer Gauer
- Banking Seminar Covers Cybersecurity, Complexities of Today’s Bank
- Observations on the Legal Ramifications of Justice Scalia’s Death
- Security Interests in Insurance Proceeds
- FFIEC Issues Cyber Security Assessment Tool
- 15 Davenport Evans Lawyers Named by Great Plains Super Lawyers
- Supreme Court Bars Action on Guaranty Following Foreclosure
- Bank’s Duty to Report Human Smuggling and Human Trafficking Financial Activity
- What in the World is a General Intangible?
- Reminder to Banks Regarding Privacy Notice Compliance
Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP
Partner: 2000 – present
Associate: 1995 – 1999
(B.A., summa cum laude, 1992)
Creighton University School of Law
(J.D., magna cum laude, 1995)
State Bar of South Dakota
American Bar Association
Minnehaha County Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Admitted to Practice (State):
South Dakota, 1995
Admitted to Practice (Federal):
United States District Court, District of South Dakota, 1995
United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1995
Protecting what you’ve built.