Matthew Van Heuvelen
Matthew Van Heuvelen
South Dakota Trusts and Estates Attorney
South Dakota lawyer Matt Van Heuvelen is a partner in the business law section at Davenport Evans. Matt, who is licensed to practice in South Dakota and Iowa, focuses his practice on dynasty trusts and trust administration, business transactions, estate planning, probate, tax planning and fiduciary litigation. Clients he represents include individuals, families, trustees, bank trust departments, trust companies, financial advisors, businesses and charitable organizations. Matt is a member of American Bar Association, the State Bar of South Dakota, the Iowa State Bar Association and the Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council.
While in law school at the University of Iowa, Matt served as an Articles Editor on the Journal of Corporation Law and worked as a Research Assistant for a widely published trusts and estates professor. Matt did his undergraduate studies at Northwestern College in nearby Orange City, Iowa, where he has served as an adjunct faculty member, teaching business law. Matt is also a graduate of Leadership Sioux Falls.
Outside the office, Matt participates in a variety of activities at his church, and enjoys spending time with his wife, Kaylene, and their daughters, Katie and Haylie. You will also find him supporting the Iowa Hawkeyes, Atlanta Braves and Green Bay Packers.
- Common Questions on Asset Protection Trusts
- Van Heuvelen Talks Estate Planning for Farmers on KELO Podcast
- Van Heuvelen and Krogstad Published in South Dakota Law Review
- Krogstad and Van Heuvelen Speak at Law Review Symposium
- Using a Trust to Provide A Future for Your Children
- Mark R. Krogstad & Matthew W. Van Heuvelen, Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Examining the Effectiveness of South Dakota Asset Protection Trust Statutes For Removing Assets From A Settlor’s Gross Estate, 61 S.D.L. Rev. 378 (2016).
- 2018 Estate and Gift Tax Exclusions, 2017 Tax Act
- Van Heuvelen Accepted Into Leadership Sioux Falls
Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP
Partner: 2016 – present
Associate: 2010 – 2015
(B.A., cum laude, 2007)
University of Iowa College of Law
(J.D., with distinction, 2010)
American Bar Association
State Bar of South Dakota
Iowa State Bar Association
Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council
Admitted to Practice (State):
South Dakota, 2011
Articles Editor, Journal of Corporation Law
Author: Duplicative, Confusing, and Legally Inaccurate: The SEC’s Attempt to Regulate Fixed Indexed Annuities,35 J. Corp. Law 663 (2010).
Author: Mark R. Krogstad & Matthew W. Van Heuvelen, Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Examining the Effectiveness of South Dakota Asset Protection Trust Statutes For Removing Assets From A Settlor’s Gross Estate, 61 S.D. L. Rev. 378 (2016).
Protecting what you’ve built.