Matthew W. Van Heuvelen
Matt Van Heuvelen, South Dakota Trusts and Estates Attorney
South Dakota lawyer Matt Van Heuvelen is a partner in the business law section at Davenport Evans. Matt, who is licensed to practice in South Dakota and Iowa, focuses his practice on dynasty trusts and trust administration, business transactions, estate planning, probate, tax planning and fiduciary litigation. Clients he represents include individuals, families, trustees, bank trust departments, trust companies, financial advisors, businesses and charitable organizations. Matt is a member of American Bar Association, the State Bar of South Dakota, the Iowa State Bar Association and the Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council.
While in law school at the University of Iowa, Matt served as an Articles Editor on the Journal of Corporation Law and worked as a Research Assistant for a widely published trusts and estates professor. Matt did his undergraduate studies at Northwestern College in nearby Orange City, Iowa, where he has served as an adjunct faculty member, teaching business law. Matt is also a graduate of Leadership Sioux Falls.
Outside the office, Matt serves on the Board of Directors for Susan G. Komen South Dakota and Dow Rummel Village, participates in a variety of activities at his church, and enjoys spending time with his wife, Kaylene, and their daughter, Katie. You will also find him supporting the Iowa Hawkeyes, Atlanta Braves and Green Bay Packers.
- Mark R. Krogstad & Matthew W. Van Heuvelen, Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Examining the Effectiveness of South Dakota Asset Protection Trust Statutes For Removing Assets From A Settlor’s Gross Estate, 61 S.D. L. Rev. 378 (2016).
- Using a Trust to Provide for the Future of Your Children
- 2015 Estate and Gift Tax Exclusions
- 2015 Federal Estate and Gift Tax
- Van Heuvelen Accepted Into Leadership Sioux Falls
- 2014 Exclusion for Lifetime Gifts to Noncitizen Spouses
Submitting a message through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship with Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP. E-mail sent via this site is not privileged or confidential. Please do not send or include any privileged or information in your email that you consider to be privileged or confidential. Thank you.