Mark R. Krogstad
Mark Krogstad, South Dakota Trusts and Estates Attorney
Mark Krogstad, a Willmar, Minnesota native and Augustana University graduate, joined the firm in 2012 after practicing in Minnesota and receiving his Master’s Degree in Taxation from the University of Florida. He is a partner in the firm practicing in the areas of estate planning, business succession planning, tax planning, charitable gift planning, and estate and trust administration. As a part of his practice, Mark assists clients in:
*Drafting wills, durable powers of attorneys, and trusts, such as revocable living trusts, dynasty trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), irrevocable life insurance trusts (ILITs), spousal access trusts, asset protection trusts (APTs), charitable remainder trusts (CRTs), and charitable lead trusts (CLTs).
*Planning and and implementing gift, estate, and generation-skipping (GST) transfer tax planning techniques to promote the preservation of wealth among generations.
*The preparation of federal estate and gift tax returns and Minnesota estate tax returns.
*The transfer transfer of closely-held business interests, including farming and ranching businesses.
*Drafting prenuptial and antenuptial agreements.
*Probate matters and the administration of
*The administration of trusts, including trust modifications and decanting.
Mark is active in the community and in professional organizations. He is a member of the Sioux Falls Estate Planning Council, the State Bar of South Dakota, and the Minnesota State Bar Association. He is also a member of Peace Lutheran Church and serves as a professional advisor to the Planned Giving Council for Sioux Empire United Way and on the Board of Directors for the National Kidney Foundation Serving the Dakotas. Outside of the office, Mark enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters and outdoors activities, such as hunting and fishing.
- Mark R. Krogstad, Filling the Gap: Addressing the Potential Impact of North Dakota Adopting Legislation Creating A New Entity – The Low Profit Limited Liability Company, 86 N.D. L. Rev. 535 (2010).
- Mark R. Krogstad & Matthew W. Van Heuvelen, Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Examining the Effectiveness of South Dakota Asset Protection Trust Statutes For Removing Assets From A Settlor’s Gross Estate, 61 S.D. L. Rev. 378 (2016).
- 2015 Estate and Gift Tax Exclusions
- 2015 Federal Estate and Gift Tax
- Special Needs Trust
- Death of LLC Member Can Be Tricky- Sioux Falls Business Journal
- Tax Treatment of Same-Sex Couples and Spouses
- Summary of Primary 2013 Legislative Changes to the Minnesota Estate and Gift Tax
- 2014 Exclusion for Lifetime Gifts to Noncitizen Spouses
- Tax Treatment for Same-Sex Spouses and Couples
Submitting a message through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship with Davenport, Evans, Hurwitz & Smith, LLP. E-mail sent via this site is not privileged or confidential. Please do not send or include any privileged or information in your email that you consider to be privileged or confidential. Thank you.